Should we file for I-130 as I'm waiting for CBP/ FOIA record of lawful entry, to be able to Adjust Status instead of 601 route?

Asked 11 months ago - Orangevale, CA

Hi, I came in country as a teen with B1 visa, overstayed and never returned to my country since 1990. Lost visa/passport and never replaced it and now I'm able to adjust status through marriage to a USC been married for 8 years now.. Having record of lawful entry will make my case much easier than having to go through 601 waiver? what should I do?

1. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

9

3

Answered . You need a confidential discussion with a licensed and experienced attorney. Most of us are available by phone and Skype. He or she will be able to give you time estimates for the federal records, as well as discussion whether an I-102 or other proof of admission are relevant. Route I-601 is not the preferred highway.

2. Paul M. Ruby

8

1

Answered . Call a lawyer who handles these things. Seeking a 601 waiver is rarely ideal.

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

8

1

Answered . Your situation would be significantly easier and more secure if you were able to obtain proof of your valid entry to the US. You could do a FOIA request to CBP specifically requesting the I-94 documentation for your entry, and/or other documents/testimony to establish your lawful entry. The alternative, an I-601A or I-601 waiver, is more complicated and is often difficult to win.

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

Best Answer

Answered . You need to file form I-102.

The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has stated that "federal immigration laws are exceedingly complex"

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

7

1

Answered . From what you described the process will take two different routes:
    1. If you retrieve under FOIA your record of lawful entry you will not need a 601 Waiver and will be able to adjust without leaving the U.S. once you receive the proof of the lawful entry in 1990.
    2. Since you assert that you have arrived legally, I-601 with the Consular processing is not the route for your situation.
    Please discuss further in person with an immigration counsel.

6. Arturo Angel Burga

Pro

5

1

Answered . You should just file for an I-102 which can provide you your record of entry (Copy of I-94). Have an attorney help you with the form because it requires some detail information.

7. Thomas Joseph Baker

5

Answered . As suggested, don't even think about the I-601/601a. Compared to your other option of adjusting status it is much more risky.

I would look into obtaining a consultation from a local immigration attorney about all of your options, the risks, and the best way to accomplish your goals.

Be wary of notaries, and consultants,.

Thomas J. Baker
    Sacramento Immigration Attorney
    Http://www.wigonlaw.com
    916-447-8975

8. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . You should meet with an attorney ... you shouldn't spend even 10 seconds considering the I-601A.

The I-102 is needed ... as is having an attorney review your history in the US.

He/she will ask questions such as: Have you ever marked the "US Citizen" box on an I-9 form. Have you ever registered to vote.