Should this Judge be recused?

Orlando, FL |

Judge was presiding over my Father's criminal matter approximately 2 years. My Father passed away prior to the Judge passing sentence. Now, the same Judge is presiding over his estate which is in probate and contested; doesn't seem right to me. . . .

1. Unless there is some connection between the two matters that would create a conflict, there is nothing wrong with this. Judges rotate assignments regularly, and often have someone come before them in a new case that they had before them previously in a different case. That alone does not create a conflict.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

2. Assuming that you had nothing whatsoever with your father's criminal matter, I agree with Ms. Morcroft there is no conflict of interest requiring recusal. Often the same judges who preside over criminal cases also supervise probate estates and decide civil matters.

And most judges, being human and trying to be impartial, are going to heed the biblical injunction of Ezekiel 18:19-20 that "The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father..."

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. I think it's a good question but one that you should discuss with your probate lawyer

4. Unless there is more to the story, I don't think the Judge needs to recuse himself. Recusal is used when there is some type of bias or perceived bias invovled.

Wills and estates topics