Should this be considered improvement or repair?

Asked over 2 years ago - Brighton, MA

The trustees are planning to repair balconies. According to the condo bylaws, the unit owners have to pay out-of-pocket for repairs but not for improvements. The construction company has to replace the old plywood, some of the old joists, the old railing, and the old deck floor and install new ones. (This means the installation of new plywood, new joists, a new railing, and a new deck floor.) Should this be considered improvement or repair?

1. Erik Hammarlund

Answered . You've asked this before; I suggest you reread the prior answers.

2. William N. Chambers

Answered . That definitely sounds like a repair to me. Your condo association rules should have some definition of the terms as they COULD be seen as vague.

3. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Answered . Without reading your condo docs it is impossible to say with certainty, but this sounds like a repair. Please see my previous answer to you with case citations and definitions in support of that conclusion. I hope this answer has been helpful!