Should the VA help pay for my father's last days care?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kerrville, TX

The doctor at the VA in San Antonio ( Audie Murphy ) released my father to hospice . The rd also told me that my dad was 100 e covered for hospice with the VA . Between the 2 facilities of S . A . , TX and Kerr ville , TX there was no place to put him so I had to place him in a care facility where he passed away waiting for a place at the VA . Even though he had Medicare that covered a part of those expenses , should the VA help with the remainder of what Medicare did not cover ?

1. Martha Ann Knutson

2

Answered . I am very sorry for your loss.

Generally it's a choice between Medicare reimbursement or VA, particularly if you did not get authorization beforehand from the VA to use a particular facility. If you are the representative of your father's estate you can always file a claim, but the chances of success are pretty slim.

I'm including a link below to a publication that explains this, but also has some phone numbers (pp 19-20) you can try for more information. Good luck.