Should the VA help pay for my father's last days care?

Kerrville, TX |

The doctor at the VA in San Antonio ( Audie Murphy ) released my father to hospice . The rd also told me that my dad was 100 e covered for hospice with the VA . Between the 2 facilities of S . A . , TX and Kerr ville , TX there was no place to put him so I had to place him in a care facility where he passed away waiting for a place at the VA . Even though he had Medicare that covered a part of those expenses , should the VA help with the remainder of what Medicare did not cover ?

1. I am very sorry for your loss.

Generally it's a choice between Medicare reimbursement or VA, particularly if you did not get authorization beforehand from the VA to use a particular facility. If you are the representative of your father's estate you can always file a claim, but the chances of success are pretty slim.

I'm including a link below to a publication that explains this, but also has some phone numbers (pp 19-20) you can try for more information. Good luck.

This response is intended to provide general information, but not legal advice. The response may be different if there are other or different facts than those included in the original question. See MKnutsonLaw.com for more information on why this communication is not privileged or create an attorney-client relationship.