Should SSI recipient pay alimony and child support?

Asked 11 months ago - Miami, FL

I know that SSI (Supplemental Security Income) cannot be garnished. But can a person be put in jail or punished in any other way for non paying alimony and child support after becoming SSI recipient?

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

10

Answered . Last time I checked, SSI is income pursuant to Chapter 61, Florida Statutes. So I would say yes...if they choose to willfully not pay support that is ordered that they have the ability to pay, then the court could invoke any remedy that it sees fit.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

9

1

Answered . If alimony and child support are ordered, it does not matter as it needs to be paid or the person faces contempt of court among other issues.

3. Lee Alan Thompson

8

Answered . Yes, but you may have grounds for modification. Jail is generally not the first step. That follows a contempt. Talk to an attorney or see if you can file on your own for modification through the support enforcement agency.

4. D K Kevin Dugan

4

1

Answered . This is really a divorce question and you should talk with the attorney who handled your case.