Skip to main content

Should SSI recipient pay alimony and child support?

Miami, FL |

I know that SSI (Supplemental Security Income) cannot be garnished. But can a person be put in jail or punished in any other way for non paying alimony and child support after becoming SSI recipient?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Last time I checked, SSI is income pursuant to Chapter 61, Florida Statutes. So I would say yes...if they choose to willfully not pay support that is ordered that they have the ability to pay, then the court could invoke any remedy that it sees fit.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


If alimony and child support are ordered, it does not matter as it needs to be paid or the person faces contempt of court among other issues.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Yes, but you may have grounds for modification. Jail is generally not the first step. That follows a contempt. Talk to an attorney or see if you can file on your own for modification through the support enforcement agency.


This is really a divorce question and you should talk with the attorney who handled your case.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or in Florida for a FREE evaluation and legal advice pertaining to your particular claim.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer