Should opposing divorce attorneys privately meet to discuss personal issues concerning marital assets before a court hearing?

33901 |

I am on my fourth attorney because the other three were on my husband's attorney's side. Fraud has been committed by my husband with the marital assets since 1998 to present. The company doubled and tripled in assets during the 14 year marriage but all of the money has been hidden or gone. I am 72 yo and he is refusing to give me more than $3500.00 a month for five years. He cashed in the $1,000,000.00 life insurance policy with a Standing Order. He sent in a fraudulent FA to the Judge. His salary has been over $300,000 and the company made $80,000,000. in 2010 with his salary of $226,000. He has lied for
ten months. His attorney wants to privately meet with my CPA and attorney before a hearing for relief to find out where the money has been hidden. I do not
agree to the meeting.

The value of my husband's company at present is not the issue at the hearing. My CPA wrote a $5500.00 report proving to the Judge fraud in the marriage. I want to find out the total of the assets for equal distribution. The value of the company can be found out later. This is all to convenient to persuade my attorney and CPA to side with my husband. I cannot get any more attorneys. If this attorney betrays me also there is no justice in Lee County. I have spent $25,000 on my present attorney and CPA since March 14th and $18,000 on the other attorneys. No attorney wants to fight for me.

The fact that you are on your fourth attorney unfortunately speaks volumes to most lawyers and sadly to most judges as well. You absolutely must find a well founded forensic accountant and an attorney who will work with this CPA to determine what can and what can not be proven. Remember the two most important words in law are "prove it". If after looking at all of the facts and tangible evidence you can prove your case with facts and evidence vs. opinions, go forward. If you cannot then call it a day and live with your anger.

good

2. You believe that three attorneys were on "on [your] husband's attorney's side," an action that could cause an attorney to be disbarred, and because your current attorney wants to meet with the CPA and the other attorney, a common practice, you think your current attorney may be attempting to "betray" you. Please, please consider getting psychological help. I have no ability to diagnose you, but it's clear from what you've written that you suffer from some type of paranoid delusions. And also, please trust your lawyer.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

3. Yes often times attorneys do meet without clients to try to reach settlements on issues or discuss the issues that will presented at the hearings. This is not a bad thing but a good thing and often saves a lot of time and money on attorney's fees in the long run. At this point and after four attorneys you need to sit down and ask if indeed you are being reasonable in the case or are you asking for something that is just unattainable by any attorney. Now I am not saying it is not possible to HAVE to change attorneys. YES that is possible but the big question here is FOUR times? May you should with a friend or relative along as a sort of coach for you to go with you and attend everything in the case with you and even consider hiring an attorney coach who will provide that service for a fee. It is clear that you need some assistance here. Perhaps you should get another attorney involved for opinion sake or even two more opinions. There is nothing wrong with getting opinions in divorce cases. You need someone who is not afraid to be brutally honest with you and tell you the truth about your case. You may not like what you hear but you need to know the truth. that might be the lawyer you know have so go and talk to him or her until you get the answers you need to feel more comfortable about the resolution of the case. At some point most attorneys may not want to take a case where four others lawyers have already tread. Good luck to you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. This information is provided by PEGGY M. RADDATZ, Attorney At Law as a pro bono service. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

4. If you make all sorts of allegations about the wrongdoing of your previous attorneys, no attorney will expect anything less from you. On your 4th attorney now, and you suspect him of betrayal, you leave no room for anyone to do anything for you. You cannot and will not be satisfied with the services of any attorney, no matter what they do for you. Fiind out what the husband says the marital assets are and be ready to debate it. You already have a CPA on your side.

Professional ethics topics