Should opposing divorce attorneys privately meet to discuss personal issues concerning marital assets before a court hearing?

Asked about 2 years ago - 33901

I am on my fourth attorney because the other three were on my husband's attorney's side. Fraud has been committed by my husband with the marital assets since 1998 to present. The company doubled and tripled in assets during the 14 year marriage but all of the money has been hidden or gone. I am 72 yo and he is refusing to give me more than $3500.00 a month for five years. He cashed in the $1,000,000.00 life insurance policy with a Standing Order. He sent in a fraudulent FA to the Judge. His salary has been over $300,000 and the company made $80,000,000. in 2010 with his salary of $226,000. He has lied for
ten months. His attorney wants to privately meet with my CPA and attorney before a hearing for relief to find out where the money has been hidden. I do not
agree to the meeting.

The value of my husband's company at present is not the issue at the hearing. My CPA wrote a $5500.00 report proving to the Judge fraud in the marriage. I want to find out the total of the
assets for equal distribution. The value of the company can be found out later. This is all to convenient to persuade my attorney and CPA to side with my husband. I cannot get any more
attorneys. If this attorney betrays me also there is no justice in Lee County. I have spent $25,000 on my present attorney and CPA since March 14th and $18,000 on the other attorneys.
No attorney wants to fight for me.

1. David L. Hirsch

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . The fact that you are on your fourth attorney unfortunately speaks volumes to most lawyers and sadly to most judges as well. You absolutely must find a well founded forensic accountant and an attorney who will work with this CPA to determine what can and what can not be proven. Remember the two most important words in law are "prove it". If after looking at all of the facts and tangible evidence you can prove your case with facts and evidence vs. opinions, go forward. If you cannot then call it a day and live with your anger.

good

2. Brent Allan Rose

2

Answered . You believe that three attorneys were on "on [your] husband's attorney's side," an action that could cause an attorney to be disbarred, and because your current attorney wants to meet with the CPA and the other attorney, a common practice, you think your current attorney may be attempting to "betray" you. Please, please consider getting psychological help. I have no ability to diagnose you, but it's clear from what you've written that you suffer from some type of paranoid delusions. And also, please trust your lawyer.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . If you make all sorts of allegations about the wrongdoing of your previous attorneys, no attorney will expect anything less from you. On your 4th attorney now, and you suspect him of betrayal, you leave no room for anyone to do anything for you. You cannot and will not be satisfied with the services of any attorney, no matter what they do for you. Fiind out what the husband says the marital assets are and be ready to debate it. You already have a CPA on your side.

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . Yes often times attorneys do meet without clients to try to reach settlements on issues or discuss the issues that will presented at the hearings. This is not a bad thing but a good thing and often saves a lot of time and money on attorney's fees in the long run. At this point and after four attorneys you need to sit down and ask if indeed you are being reasonable in the case or are you asking for something that is just unattainable by any attorney. Now I am not saying it is not possible to HAVE to change attorneys. YES that is possible but the big question here is FOUR times? May you should with a friend or relative along as a sort of coach for you to go with you and attend everything in the case with you and even consider hiring an attorney coach who will provide that service for a fee. It is clear that you need some assistance here. Perhaps you should get another attorney involved for opinion sake or even two more opinions. There is nothing wrong with getting opinions in divorce cases. You need someone who is not afraid to be brutally honest with you and tell you the truth about your case. You may not like what you hear but you need to know the truth. that might be the lawyer you know have so go and talk to him or her until you get the answers you need to feel more comfortable about the resolution of the case. At some point most attorneys may not want to take a case where four others lawyers have already tread. Good luck to you.