Skip to main content

Should my wife work for at least three years before we can start the green card process.

Moline, IL |

I am an international student, I met my wife while in college. we got married. She just started to work. She's been working for the last two months. So, she does not have a tax return because she could not file any tax since she was not working. She was claimed by her parents.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you are referring to affidavit of support , your spouse needs to provide most recent tax return in support of your application for adjustment of status.

  2. No need for her to work for three years before filing. You will, however, need a co-sponsor.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  3. That is up to you. She can file now, but she will need to find a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support requirement.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics