Should my US Citizen Son count on Form I-864 in Part 5 Sponsor's Household size. The Sponsor is my wife and she is filing for me

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

My Wife, a US citizen is filing for me, I have a son from a previous marriage age six, he is a US citizen,. My wife would not need to file for him but would he count in the Sponsor's Household size as he will be living with us. Either way her salary can support all 3 of us, but just curious how a case like that would be handled on the I-865 form. Thanks in advance for your time and any replies

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, as he is part of your household.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes.

  3. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As long as he is a dependent and living in the same household, then yes, he should be counted in. Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-... more
  4. Isabel R. Mccormick

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your son is living with you he should be listed on the Form-864 as a member of the household.

  5. Kyndra L. Mulder

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If your son is a dependent he must be listed on the affidavit.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,450 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,450 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering