Should my U.S. fiance change her name when we get married?

Asked 8 months ago - Moline, IL

i am getting married to my U.S. fiance. Im in the US on a student visa. should she change her name to my last name before we start the green card process?

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . It is optional and up to her.

2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

2

Answered . That is entirely a matter of personal preference.

3. Ajay Kumar Arora

2

Answered . Changing the last name to match the surname of a spouse has no bearing on whether a marriage is bona fide, and is thus purely optional.

4. Belen Teresa Gomez

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. A name change is a completely personal matter and should not affect your immigration case. You will have to show your relationship is "bonafide" or real and not for immigration purposes. You will need to do this through other evidence.

5. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Keeping her name is an entirely acceptable choice which will not impact the applications merits. USCIS understands that there is no longer a requirement, social or otherwise, for a woman to take her husband's name.