Skip to main content

Should my jobs insurance pay for ambulance bill?

Hesperia, CA |

I was in a car accident while delivering pizzas, someone called the cops and i was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I got a hospital bill in the mail and told them to send it to my jobs workers comp insurance. After two months i got a bill saying that they only paid 300$ out of a 1500$ bill. What can i do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If it is a worker's compensation claim there is likely a state statute that provides what the hospital can bill for certain services, which is probably why worker's compensation only paid a portion of the bill. If the auto accident was not your fault, you may have a claim against the at fault driver for whatever injuries you sustained, including the hospital bill. However, all states are different on how they handle the determination of the medical expenses you may be entitled to recover when a reduced amount is paid by worker's compensation. Next, if you have health insurance your health insurance should pay the bill - based on its contracted rates with the hospital and then, if it has the right under your health insurance contract recover what it paid if you recover from the at fault party. There could be other options as well.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Campbell Law PC 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210


You should consult with a workers compensation attorney. The insurance typically has an obligation to pay the reasonable amounts owed -- this amount is typically accepted as full and final payment of the bill. This appears to be something that should be covered by worker's compensation insurance.. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


As a California car accident lawyer, the ER's refusal to accept payment from the Work Comp carrier as payment in full may be to your benefit if the accident was not your fault. What you may not know is that you could have both a Work Comp claim as well as a Personal Injury claim. While the two are entangled by the CA Labor Code, a personal injury attorney would be able to help you avoid the entanglement and possibly allow you to benefit from parsing out the two claims. You can find highly rated injury attorneys in your area on Until you get advice from a car accident attorney, the question is not 'What can i do' but rather 'Should i do anything about it at this time?'
for statutory 'owner liability' and separately for 'negligent entrustment'

As stated above, this is an incomplete answer but an attempt to provide a cursory overview of a subject that attorneys 'practice' and improve upon during the entirety of their legal careers. This response is not meant as legal advice or as a legal opinion. Such advice would be impossible or impractical without additional information and more facts giving rise to the question. A consultation with an attorney is necessary.


If worker's comp paid the bill, you do not have to pay them a dime until you get compensation from the third party. Eventually, your attorney will settle with the ambulance company. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer