Should my father file a new will or have a codicil prepared since some of the information in the old will does not exist?

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

My 86 year old father prepared a will in 2002 and since then many of the things listed in that will he no longer has, e.g. vehicles, bonds, etc. Therefore, should he file a new will or amend the current one? Also, does the will have to go to probate?

1. Jeff Tomberg

3

Answered . your father should see a lawyer. you should not select the lawyer nor sit with him while he discusses what he wants. a lawyer can then make an appropriate determination of whether a new will, a codicil to the old will or a living trust should meet your fathers purposes. the answer assumes he is competent to understand the nature of what a will is what it does and to whom he is leaving things. same for the trust.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . I don't agree with Attorney Olsen's answer and I don't believe he is a Florida Attorney and may not be familar with Florida law. The words in the will are important-For example-the will says 4000 shares of Exxon stock to A-and the estate did not own Exxon stock at death but did own before death.
    A could argue that he wants the value of the stock or the estate should purchase 4000 shares to give him.
    I always word the document- any interest owned at the time of my death up to 4000 shares of Exxon stock to A or other similar wording depending on if real estate or other items.

3. Andrew W. Olsen

Pro

Answered . While I agree with the answer of attorney Tormberg, as a general matter a new Will is not necessitated merely because some assets in your father's estate in 2002, whether mentioned specifically or not, are no longer there. A devise of an asset previously disposed of merely becomes irrelevant. However, the changed asset mix might ahve caused your father's estate plan to be frustrated so he should certainly consider seeking a review. Whether or not the Will will have to be probated on his death may depend on his assets and whether they are disposed of outside of probate. Again, an attorney can advise your father as to that.

4. James P. Frederick

Answered . I agree that your father should at least see an attorney to make sure that his current Will reflects his intent. And in answer to your second question, every Will needs to be admitted to probate, in order to be effective. For this reason, a Will is not always the best estate planning tool.

Regardless of what is done with the Will, your father needs a current durable power of attorney, to name someone to handle his medical decisions and financial matters, if he ever becomes incapacitated. This will eliminate the need for probate proceedings to appoint a guardian or conservator.

James Frederick