Should my boyfriend appy for a visit visa or a finace visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ardmore, AL

I meet a man from pakistan on the computer I am from the US, we really like each other, and he want to come here and meet me, yes we have talked about the posiablity of marriage as he does not believe in dating, but we would like to meet, and are afraid if he comes here on a visit visa and we meet and what if we dicided to get married we wouldnt want to mess anything up, so that if we do decided to go farther with it he could stay in the US legally with me, or is it best to get a finance visa, but then what if we decide we dont want to carry things farther. So we are not sure what visa we need to appy for or what we should do we need advice a we want to do everything the right way.

1. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . If you are not engaged, a fiance visa is not possible. Moreover you must meet in person first to file a fiance visa. He can try to get a tourist visa, but there is certainly a danger of refusal inherent in this type of request. You could also meet him in person first, and then decide if you want to marry him or petition him as a fiance.

2. Jose Antonio Moreno

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague--However, you may waive the requirement of the in person meeting in the past two years. I suggest meeting with an immigration attorney as I know Pakistani traditional relationships do not support and frown upon "dating" prior to engagement and marriage.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . If you haven't met face-to-face, you can't apply for the fiance visa.

A tourist visa is nearly impossible to get in this type of situation.

Have you considered going to meet him? If you do go, you might want to marry him there and then come back to the US to file more papers.