Should I worry about getting sued from a car accident where I was at fault?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

I was car #5 in a 5 car accident on the highway. This was 6 months ago, and my insurance has paid out $22,000 in damages to the other vehicles, as it was determined I was at fault. There was no ambulance at the scene, but my ins. co, did advise me that one person was "injured". No specifics on the injury, and no medical claims have as of yet been filed against my insurance. I do have good insurance: liability 250/500.
My carrier just declined to renew me due to the payout of this accident. My new ins co is charging me a whole lot more money, and I can not afford to stick with my great liabilty. My concern is that a year from now this "injured" person will say that they've been undergoing treatments for somthing that was my fault steming from this accident. Should I be worried?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

5

Answered . You may be sued if the injured party and your insurance company do not settle. Your insurance company will still pay for the law suit. If you are served, send it to the insurance company. I agree that you should keep in touch with them. You have a very good policy limit.

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . Only if the damages exceed your $250,000 personal injury liability amount. Stay in touch with your insurance carrier to determine how they are handling the claim.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

3. George K. Mazmanian

2

Answered . The policy in place at the time of the accident would govern.