Should I withdraw my N-400 naturalization application?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

At my oath ceremony I disclosed a recent arrest for selling prescription drugs (I sold 10 of my ADHD prescribed amphetamine pills). The DA said he will consider reducing my charge OR offer me a diversion program at my preliminary hearing in about 40 days, but I have not even had my arraignment or preliminary hearing yet. But USCIS is now requesting more evidence (Complaint, police report, court disposition). At this point I just want to avoid deportation/inadmissibility so should I just wrote a formal letter requesting withdrawal of my app or is too late? I mean, is my case really considered "aggravated felony"? It's not like I'm a big time crack and heroin drug smuggler.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It's all will defend on the charges. Don't panic. Hire an immigration attorney and a criminal one to make sure you can "clear" your record. If a conviction is not avoidable, your immigration attorney will guide you.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. From your question you appear to say you've already been to your oath ceremony and you disclosed your arrest at the oath ceremony This is good and appropriate. So, it appears you did NOT take your oath and then receive your certificate. They may be waiting to see what happens with your criminal matter. One piece of advice an attorney will be able to give you with determining whether you plead to some outcome that can be considered not a "conviction" for purposes of immigration removal proceedings. Be sure your criminal defense attorney either consults with or knows very well how to advise you regarding this important consideration -- certain outcomes are "convictions" but certain ones are not. Be sure you know what you are agreeing to in the criminal court.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent... more
  3. Nicolette Glazer

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . make an in person consultation with an attorney asap.

    Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to have a private consultation with an immigration lawyer as my colleagues have already noted. Good luck to you.
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  5. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should meet with an immigration attorney who is familiar with criminal consequences in immigration

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering