Should I wait to file my spouse's GC applications until I file joint tax?

Asked over 1 year ago - Olympia, WA

I recently got married and we are preparing to file my spouse's GC applications. I was a full-time student until 2011(living with student loan and some income from part-time job) and started working full-time since last year.

I believe that filing GC applications after filing joint tax showing that I have enough income to support him would be better.
However, I'm wondering if filing GC applications with a proof of income from the employer would be as good?

My concern is that I will need to keep paying my spouse's tution until he gets his GC to maintain his legal status, if I should wait until I file joint tax.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

2

10

Best Answer

Answered . It is your current income that counts. So, if you can present a letter from your employer stating how much you are making, it would suffice. The tax returns need to be submitted as well. If you do not have enough income, find a joint sponsor, because it is your individual income that counts anyway. I suggest you hire a lawyer to help you.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

1

Answered . There is a fantastic immigration lawyer in Olympia (Lisa Seifert) who you should consider meeting with ... she can help you make a 'good' plan of how to proceed.

3. John P Fazzio III

Pro

2

2

Answered . If you want to show that he is compliant with the tax laws to improve the GC application, you can probably file a joint return. But, the bottom line here is that you need to go see a local Immigration Attorney and one of the posters indicated a good person to contact. Don't try to do this on your own, its too important, and the laws and procedures are not your area of specialty. Get some help.