Should I wait longer or file again for green card marriage interview ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Villa Park, IL

it has been over 4 months now since our interview ,and we don't know anything yet about our case,all we were told that our IO is sick and on vacation for now , we have talked to our congressman and we got a letter from uscis office saying we are within the normal time range . what should I do now ? do we need to file again to get that file to a different officer ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

8

Answered . Relax. If you hear anything in 3-4 months, schedule an InfoPass appointment.

2. Boris Alexander Palant

6

Answered . The letter from Immigration Service states it right: you are within normal limits. Stop bothering our legislators and calm down. If you hear nothing within the next 2 months schedule an infopass appointment. Don't even think of re-applying. And...hire a good lawyer.

3. Abraham B. Cardenas

Pro

4

Answered . I'm assuming you are referring to an I-130 or I-485 interview. Don't file again and don't think there is a way to get the file to a different officer. Unfortunately, the best advice is to wait. You can do something about it after a long period of time has gone by. Four months is really not that long in the world of immigration processes.

4. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

2

Answered . It appears that a supervisor may need to assign the matter to another officer, but it's unclear whether there are other complications that should be resolved by the adjudicator who started work on your file. If USCIS won't do anything, then you will have to wait.

If it takes longer than a year from the interview date, and you have repeatedly reminded the USCIS about the delay, then you may want to have a competent immigration attorney decide whether to file an action in court to order USCIS to make a decision. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . Do not file again. You should get an answer with six months. USCIS is required to make a decision on the application you filed. You can certainly schedule an InfoPass appointment. This may be enough to get a decision soon. If the delay is longer than six months you may wish to consider an action in federal court to compel a decision.

6. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

3

Answered . It is within normal range. Schedule Infopass appointment . Do not refile.

7. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Cases can get delayed, and four months is not really a long delay. Follow up every 90 days. If nothing happens after a year, try going to federal court.

8. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Calm down and keep waiting. Other people in your situation have been waiting far longer already.