Should I wait for the SOL to expire or should I file bankruptcy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

I have about $96,000 in unpaid medical bills. They are around 3 and a half years old. Should I file bankruptcy or just wait for the statute of limitations to expire?

1. Michael Avanesian

Pro

4

Answered . That's really your call. You have no other debt and there is no word from anyone that this debt has been sold or a judgment has been obtained?

2. Richard Scott Lysle

4

Answered . Unpaid medical bills are not as bad for your credit as a bankruptcy. Although the SOL may expire after 4 years, the accounts may stay on your credit or 7 years. A BK will stay on your credit for 10 years, and it will affect your relations with your other creditors.

Also, the SOL may not necessarily be 4 years. Sometimes a shorter period applies. To get more specific advise, relevant to your exact situation, you should sit down with a lawyer.

3. Bruce Allan Wilson

3

Answered . The SOL generally starts on the date you are declared in default on your obligations. In this case, 4 years unless the contract states otherwise.

BW

4. Scot J Eliot

4

Answered . If these are you only debts and you have not received communication from a California attorney regarding the debt then I would wait to see if the statute of limitations expires. There are a number of things which can toll the statute of limitations and give the creditor more time to file suit but none of these are raised by your question.