Should I try to fight a no turn on red ticket?

Orlando, FL |

Was exiting off Interstate 4 onto Fairbanks in Winter Park, FL. Apparently, these no turn on red signs are fairly new. I don't travel this way typically but was going to meet up with my elderly parents at their doctor appt. The light was green at the time I came down the ramp. No cars in front of me, or anywhere. I always stop anyway at an intersection which I did. As I pulled out, the light must have turned red. There were 3 motorcycle cops just waiting to write tickets. The police officer told me that there are 2 "no turn on red" signs there. My driving record is as follows: 1 speeding ticket at age 23. That is it! Never in an accident and I am now 47. I wear my seatbelt and drive safe all the time. I just feel that this should have been a warning. Should I try to fight

1. What is your defense? If 3 cops are available to testify that you made that turn on a red, what do you think your chances of success are? However, if you go to court and for some reason the cops do not appear as witnesses and are not able to prosecute the ticket, you then could ask the judge to dismiss the ticket for lack of prosecution.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure that proper advice is received.

2. Yes, fight it. Doesn't cost that much to hire a traffic ticket lawyer, and you might get a lucky dismissal if the cops fail to appear. Sometimes, with these motorcycle cops, the officer that actually issues you the citation is not the officer that actually saw you "run the red". Often, the motorcycle cop is stationary some distance away, waiting for a radio signal to pull you over. Thus, even if the issuing officer appears at the hearing, he may not be able to testify as to what actually happen. Go for it.

3. There are plenty of "ticket attorneys" in your area. Check Avvo, google that term, or call the Orange County Bar Association for a referral (407-422-4537). Good luck!

Take care,
    Chelsie

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Ms. Lamie is licensed to practice law in Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Ms. Lamie strongly advises the questioner to personally confer with an attorney in order to insure proper advice is received.