Should i transfer the vehicle title asap?

Denver, CO |

My ex-girlfriend recently purchased a vehicle from a private party. She didn't have a valid driver's license so i put my name on the title. I am in the process of filing for BK and worried this was a bad move!! I want to transfer the title over asap, but will this look bad before i file my BK?

Talk with a bankruptcy attorney. It will look like a fraudulent transfer that was meant to avoid the bankruptcy action

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Your instincts are right on -- while you may have pure motives, the transfer will raise eybrows and absolutely come back to haunt you in the bankruptcy proceeding.

A bankruptcy attorney will tell you how -- if possible -- you avoid the dirty hands!

Best of luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

I agree with my colleagues. A Bankruptcy Judge or Trustee can void transactions that occur too close to the debtor's filing date. This could cause the court to give undue scrutiny to your bankruptcy schedules and could endanger your ability to receive a "no asset" discharge from the bankruptcy trustee. You absolutely need to speak with a qualified bankruptcy attorney before taking any further action. I have worked with Dan Lowenberg in Montrose that frequently handles chapter 7 and 13 matters. His contact information is below.

Vehicle title topics

Recommended articles about Vehicle title