Should i transfer the vehicle title asap?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

My ex-girlfriend recently purchased a vehicle from a private party. She didn't have a valid driver's license so i put my name on the title. I am in the process of filing for BK and worried this was a bad move!! I want to transfer the title over asap, but will this look bad before i file my BK?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Talk with a bankruptcy attorney. It will look like a fraudulent transfer that was meant to avoid the bankruptcy action

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . Your instincts are right on -- while you may have pure motives, the transfer will raise eybrows and absolutely come back to haunt you in the bankruptcy proceeding.

A bankruptcy attorney will tell you how -- if possible -- you avoid the dirty hands!

Best of luck to you.

3. Michael Graves Brownlee Jr.

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. A Bankruptcy Judge or Trustee can void transactions that occur too close to the debtor's filing date. This could cause the court to give undue scrutiny to your bankruptcy schedules and could endanger your ability to receive a "no asset" discharge from the bankruptcy trustee. You absolutely need to speak with a qualified bankruptcy attorney before taking any further action. I have worked with Dan Lowenberg in Montrose that frequently handles chapter 7 and 13 matters. His contact information is below.