Should I trademark, and service mark my company ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New Orleans, LA

Should I do both? or will I be protected under the trademark? The company is growing, and I want to be sure I do it right the first time.

thank you.

1. Pamela Koslyn

7

Answered . Trademarks are for goods, in specifically defined classes. Service marks are for services, also in specifically defined classes. A company that makes products doesn't need its own service mark.
    You've provided no facts at all about what your company makes or does, and that's question 1 when it comes to figuring out what can be trademarked or servicemarked.

Your query makes it clear that you don't know how this whole TM thing works, but at least you recognize that a TM is a valuable thing to acquire and maintain. If you want to do this right the 1st time, because USPTO fees are non-refundable, hire a TM lawyer to help you figure out what you should get, and how to get it.

2. Maurice N Ross

Pro

5

Answered . A "service" mark is a form of trademark that identifies the services (as opposed to products) associated with a specific company or enterprise. A "service" mark can also serve as a trademark in certain circumstances, and thus, it may not be necessary to get both. The decision as to whether to obtain a service mark and trademark depends on the nature of your company's business. Your "branding" decision, including your decision as to whether to obtain a trademark or service mark, is one of the most important decisions you will ever make---and it would be wise for you to retain intellectual property counsel to assist you. You will need to share with your counsel many details and facts about your business plans. Only upon receiving advice of informed counsel can you make wise decisions on these issues.

3. Maxwell Seaton Felsheim

3

Answered . My colleague has stated the difference between a trademark and service mark quite astutely. You should consult with an attorney so that you can be sure you do it right the first time.

4. Arthur A. Zorio

Pro

3

Answered . When filing with the USPTO, you must identify the class of goods or services for which the mark has been used (or to which you intend to use them) in commerce. You may have to register your mark in several classes properly to protect it. Your question does not provide enough information to tell you much more. Consult with trademark counsel to discuss your specific cirumstances and to assist you in filing.

This post is for general informational purposes only. No attempt is made to provide legal advice.
  5. Andrew Legrand

1

Answered . If your company only does business in Louisiana, you'll want to look into filing a trade name with the Secretary of State.

6. Ray Beckerman

Pro

1

Answered . It's the same thing, you just need to get to a lawyer and get it done. My firm does the trademark application, including the filing fees, for $1500. We would do a trademark search and analysis for $1250. 718-544-3434 ray@beckermanlegal.com

7. Milena Stoyanova Mishev

1

Answered . You are on the right track by seeking way to protect your company’s product or service, or both, which is not clear from your question. I assume, you are aware of the fact that you may not “trademark or service mark” your company name because it falls under a different regime. In any event, I would like to encourage you, as all my colleagues did, to seek a formal legal advice, which will save you money and problems in the long run.

8. Michael Alan Shimokaji

1

Answered . Your company name might be both a trademark (for goods) and a service mark (for services).

If your name serves both purposes, it might be a good idea to file your application for registration for both.

Michael
    www.accessipgroup.com

The answer provided is only for general information purposes and does not constitute legal advice.