Should I take my ex to court for contempt and to modify our parenting plan? Is it likely we can get more visitation and calls ?

Houston, TX |

My ex moved away with my son without my knowledge to Nebraska 4 years ago. Since then she has refused to let me have regular visitation or contact with him. I have not seen him in a year and 5 months or talked to him since October 2012. Lately she is flat out refusing any sort of contact. The original parenting plan is through Washington state and gave me four hours every other weekend. I pay all my child support and send gifts. She openly blames me for things our son does while in her care such as lying, stealing, cussing, and anger towards her. I feel she is trying to alienate him from me through manipulation. Telling him things to make him dislike me, Before she moved away he stayed primarily with me and his grandmother

Yes you should, and yes you can. The latter I say with some hesitation since I do not know why the original court gave you such restricted visitation and if that issue still exists. Your biggest obstacle is that you are in Houston, the original court is in Washington and the child is in Nebraska. You would need to file in Nebraska and have the Washington case transferred there.

She never stuck to the original order even though she fought very hard in court to get it down to a minimum. My son was with me almost everyday she usually left him at my house all week while she was working. Yes I have had problems in my past that were not favorable in the court proceedings. I have actively tried to improve my life and made great strides in that area. I have two small children and am getting married to my girlfriend of 4 years in October. We just need hope that we can include my oldest son in our new family

You would need to hire an attorney in the state that she currently lives with the child and domestic the order from Washington state.

Why do we need to get an attorney in Nebraska ?

Yes but be prepared for them to move the case to Nebraska since that's where the child lives.