Should I take my ex to court for contempt and to modify our parenting plan? Is it likely we can get more visitation and calls ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My ex moved away with my son without my knowledge to Nebraska 4 years ago. Since then she has refused to let me have regular visitation or contact with him. I have not seen him in a year and 5 months or talked to him since October 2012. Lately she is flat out refusing any sort of contact. The original parenting plan is through Washington state and gave me four hours every other weekend. I pay all my child support and send gifts. She openly blames me for things our son does while in her care such as lying, stealing, cussing, and anger towards her. I feel she is trying to alienate him from me through manipulation. Telling him things to make him dislike me, Before she moved away he stayed primarily with me and his grandmother

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James D. Roark

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Yes you should, and yes you can. The latter I say with some hesitation since I do not know why the original court gave you such restricted visitation and if that issue still exists. Your biggest obstacle is that you are in Houston, the original court is in Washington and the child is in Nebraska. You would need to file in Nebraska and have the Washington case transferred there.

  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You would need to hire an attorney in the state that she currently lives with the child and domestic the order from Washington state.

  3. Jacqueline R. Kriebel


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Yes but be prepared for them to move the case to Nebraska since that's where the child lives.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,623 answers this week

3,305 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,623 answers this week

3,305 attorneys answering