Should I take my careless driving ticket to court or just pay the fine and take the class to remove the points?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winter Park, FL

Person in front of me stopped too quickly(like a squirrel running into the road too quickly)and I had NO time to get fully out of the way to not hit her from behind. My left front ended up hitting her back right (tried to turn to the right as I was breaking to try to avoid hitting her) and she also hit the guy in front of her. She spoke with the officer a very long time as well as the guy in the truck but not much at all with me. She did say to me later before I left the scene "the officer said he saw what happened" which I don't know why she would feel the need to tell me that. got a ticket for careless driving and 4 pts on my license. trying to figure out if I should just pay the darn thing and take the class or if I should take this to court. If found not guilty does my insurance change

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Justin Gary Hausler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Fight the ticket. There could be larger ramifications of just paying it and admitting guilt. You could still get possibly sued for personal injury. You'd be surprised how many people report no injuries at the scene, then later (after they talk to a PI lawyer) they become injured. It is actually important if the officer saw the accident or not because of hearsay rules. I'm in traffic court everyday and can explain in detail. We may still be able to save you from points, even if all the witnesses show up to court. Call me if you'd like a free consultation. Thanks

    Free Consultations can be made by calling 407-617-1064. Please understand that the information given is not to be... more
  2. Robert Edward Heyman

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you either elect driving school or enter a no contest plea, there will be no civil ramifications. The fact that you were issued a citation would also not be disclosed to the jury should your case proceed to a civil trial. Whatever you do, do NOT take the points on your Driving record.

    Good Luck,

    Robert E. Heyman, Esq.

  3. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Fight the ticket with an attorney!

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,306 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,306 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering