Skip to main content

Should I take a lawyer?

Cleveland, GA |

I was in a one car wreck Saturday night , driving alone , and was knocked unconscious I remember opening my eyes and a man I have never seen before got me out of my car and said don't worry I'll take you home . I have no idea how he new where I lived . That is the last thing I remember , I woke up at home the next morning and called a friend to take me to the hospital . I did not voluntarily leave the scene of the accident and I was released from the hospital with a concussion . I do not remember events before my accident and i am supposed to go talk to the police officer that made the report the night of the accident and i do not want to go to jail . I am going to be charged with leaving the scene of an accident and hit and run i believe .

Attorney Answers 10

  1. Have you spoken to the police yet? Yes, its a good idea to get an attorney before you talk about what happened with any law enforcement. There are alternatives to a hit& run charge when a situation like this is properly handled. Email me at with more specifics for more information.

    Evan A. Watson is a Georgia licensed attorney. All information is based on Georgia law, and no response should be construed as legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is simply a form of legal education and is intended to provide general information for all readers. Please refer with an attorney who practices in your applicable state for non-Georgia legal questions.

  2. It would be a catastrophic mistake to speak to police without a lawyer. First thing in the morning hire one.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  3. Are you saying that a police officer came to the scene to make a report and then let someone you didn't know drive you home? That does not sound plausible. It sounds as though the police arrived at the scene after you had left because you caused some type of property damage to whatever you hit and perhaps someone got your license # and reported the incident. Someone had to have called the police. I would suggest that you not talk to the police at all, but if you do I would have an experienced criminal lawyer present.

    Law Offices of Robert G. Rothstein

    Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.

  4. It is very important that you contact and consult with an attorney right away. Get in touch with one - if necessary, go to the "find a lawyer" tab.

  5. Hire a lawyer immediately and do not speak with anyone until you do.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  6. Best bet is to retain a local criminal lawyer before you make any possibly incriminating statements.

  7. If you were in a one car accident which caused no damage to anyone or anything other than yourself and your vehicle, I don't think you can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Having said that, the police are likely interested in whether you were driving under the influence at the time of the incident. Regardless, of their motivation, do NOT talk with them without consulting with a lawyer first. The police can and will use anything you say against you.

  8. I suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney before you attempt to speak with the police.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  9. I DO NOT recommend that you talk to Law Enforcement without being represented by an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney. That attorney can then go over with you all of the facts in the case and make an informed decision about any contact or statement that you give to ANYONE. It is my general advise in a criminal case that my Clients not make any statement about the charges to ANYONE. Any incriminating statement that you make to anyone, can (and will) be used against you as an Admission. Please take this situation seriously and retain the best Criminal Defense Attorney that is available to you ASAP!!!! I hope this information has been helpful. Good Luck!!! George McCranie

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

  10. Hire. A. Lawyer. You have a lot of exposure here. My guess is that there is more to this story. The police will tell you a lot of stuff to get you to talk to them and tell them what happened. DO NO DO IT. Hire a lawyer and have the lawyer refuse to answer the questions for you (if at all). I suspect you will be charged with something and you should begin to think very seriously about a trial somewhere down the road.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics