Should I sue USPS in the Federal Court first before their administrative claim?

Palo Alto, CA |

I subpoenaed US Postal Service (USPS) via Small Claims Court in California in order to obtain my defendant's contact information. However, USPS told me "I must have a Federal Court order signed by a judge assigened to the Federal Court. Small Claims Court is not a Federal Court. Therefore I have not met the requirement to permit USPS to release the defendant's contact information."

Thank you in advance.

No. Suing an arm of the federal government in order to find out info to enable service for a small claims action is a futile act. It will be faster and cheaper to hire a private investigator who is skilled in data searches to find out the info you want. Or you might try some intensive data research yourself. Take a look at the 2-volume publication "Find Info Like a Pro" by Levitt and Rosch.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

No, that is not going to work.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.