(1) $1,200 is incredibly cheap for preparing and filing an AOS one-step application ... did he draft any preliminary forms, or perform any other work before you told him that your wife didn't have a sufficient income?
(2) US CIS pre-screens filings and will usually send a request-for-evidence within 30 days of filing, if the I-864 doesn't show sufficient income.
(3) If you don't show sufficient income, or have a financial co-sponsor, CIS will deny the entire application, keeping the approximately $1,500 filing fees.
(4) Until they see sufficient income, CIS will not issue any temporary work permits.
(5) If, after reading this, you still think that the attorney didn't do 'anything' for the money you paid, you can contact the state bar association.
Capriotti International Law
SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE