Should I sue my insurance company in small claims court?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I have insurance for my cell phone, and it broke. They denied my claim for $735 of coverage. They say that they denied me because I was claiming mechanical breakdown, which would be dealt with by the manufacturer warranty; however, the problem is due to fire or explosion, which they say is covered, as I can see that the battery port is charred. The problem is that the phone refuses to charge, and testing has determined that the phone itself is damaged or defective, and not the battery or the charger

What should my next steps be?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Richard Leigh Boyer


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Sure. You might have to go the Calif. Secretary of State's website to find out how to serve your insurance company. But sue them in small claims court. They will probably pay to avoid the hassle of having to appear and defend the case.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, you can sue your insurance company for denying your claim.

    You can find general information about how to file a small claims lawsuit at:

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,313 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,313 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering