SHOULD I SUE MCDONALDS!??!?!

Asked over 2 years ago - Jacksonville, NC

i am being sexually harassed and physically threatened at work (mcdonalds)
they have also released personal information about me to other co-workers.
i can't just go to my boss, because its the boss's whom are doing a lot of it!!!!

HELP!!! i have work tomorrow absolutely dreading it!

1. F. "Bill" William Powers

Pro

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney. You may also wish to speak with someone from the EEOC Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE, as there is a limited amount of time to make a claim and/or file suit.

There MAY be causes of action under both North Carolina and United States Law (Section 1983), although it's frankly a VERY complicated area of law that is very fact specific.

We would be more than willing to provide a referral, free of charge, of an attorney experienced handling such matters in coastal / eastern nc.

bill powers

2. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

1

Answered . This is not an easy question to answer. You cannot "sue" under Title VII the law that prohibits sexual harassment until you file a charge of discrimination against the company with the EEOC and are given a Right to Sue Notice. Because you are being sexually harassed by your boss, there is a defense the company will likely have against your claim if there is a policy or procedure (which I suspect there is) that addresses sexual harassment and you do not follow that policy or procedure. It is imperative that you contact an experienced North Carolina employment law attorney immediately. There is no need that the attorney be in your area.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

Answered . Sounds like a good EEOC "hostile work environment" type of claim. You must contact an employment rights attorney immediately because the time deadline for these cases is very short!