Should I sign the document stating that the CID can open up a package they already know is coming? Military question / law

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Military law

Military Law Question

Should I ever sign a document that gives permission to the Criminal Investigative Department to open up a package that might be involved in a criminal case? Even if they know the package is coming? Also, if someone were to tell the agents that a package was coming, should that same person go and pick up the package, or should they let the agents pick it up / handle it? I'm afraid that if this person under investigation goes and picks up the package (even if the CID is with the person) it's considered "possession" and it feels like a trap. Should this person just let the CID pick up the package?

Military Law Question

1. Do not speak to CID or give them permission to do anything until u speak privately to a lawyer.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

2. It is generally best not to sigh any documents without the presence of the attorney.

www.correctmilitaryrecords.com | www.barment.com | 202-738-1382 | Pentagonlaw@gmail.com. DISCLAIMER: This information is intended for public and educational use only, it does not form an attorney-client relationship and it is not intended as legal advice. Nothing replaces a confidential consultation with an attorney. This communication may be considered attorney advertising. Do not post any privileged information, instead contact an attorney directly.

3. Not without seeing an attorney first.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Military law topics