Should I sign a quit claim deed, King County Wa. over house awarded to my ex in divorce

Asked about 2 years ago - Auburn, WA

Ex wife wants me to sign quit claim deed concerning house awarded to her in our divorce in King kCounty Wa, five years ago. I called her mortgage company and they told me not to sign it unless she removes me from the title? Now she sent me a Motion for Order Enforcing Decree and wants me to pay 750 legalfees?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . And that is the issue with taking legal advice from a mortgage company. The judge, in your divorce, said she gets the house, but you did not do that. So now she has to go ask a judge to make you sign over your interest. She has to have an attorney make sure it is done correctly, because you won't do what the judge said you were to do.

    You should consult with your own divorce attorney, of course. But your alternative is to sign the quit claim deed and the real estate excise tax affidavit and save the trip to court and the threat of having to pay fees.

    Elizabeth Powell

    Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.
  2. John Stocks

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are required to sign quit claim deed most likely unless other provisions were expressly made in the Decree. Expressly, of course, means, "in writing." If it says, "Husband shall sign quit claim deed and real estate excise tax affidavit," then you are stuck. If the Decree says, "Husband shall sign quit claim deed .... only upon removal of his name from the underlying mortgage," then you have a different story. Scan your Decree language and put that in an email to an attorney for review to give you a definitive answer.

  3. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The decree of Dissolution may say that you will cooperate with her in effectuating the the transfer of the house to her, which would include the execution of a quit claim deed as well as a tax affidavit that must be filed with the county.

    The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for... more

Related Topics

Real estate quitclaim deed

A quitclaim deed is used to transfer ownership without a sale taking place or verifying ownership. It's often used to transfer property between family members.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,849 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,849 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering