Should i sign a paper stating i will not make my son do anything or go anywhere if he doesnt want to.. he is 8. in a divorce?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Texarkana, TX

my wife will not sign the divorce papers. i have given her everything and she still wants me to sign a paper stating i will not make our son of 8 to go anywhere he doesnt want to go. if i do this will this allow her to keep my son away from me? i barely get to see him now and never without her there. I just want to be able to see my son and take him for the weekend with out my wife having to be there. she is not allowing me to build my relationship with him.

1. Thomas James Daley

Pro

Answered . Don't sign a paper like that. All it will do is cause you pain in the future. Quit trying to give her what she wants. Agree to an equitable division of the marital estate and to an extended standard possession order (that is, a standard possession order extended by Texas Family Code 153.317). If she won't agree to that, set your case for trial and let the judge decide. There is no reason to give her anything the judge won't give her, and he won't make you sign anything that says you have to objey your son's every wish and whim.

You are better off going to court and getting a decree from the judge than agreeing to something horrible like this.

Good luck!!

2. Christopher Jay Harding

Answered . Do not sign anything like that... not only are kids fickle, but they can also be manipulated by the other parent. If you sign that, your visitation will be subject to the whims of an eight year old.

Perhaps a better option is just to offer to let the child call mom at any time during the visit and to keep her informed of where the child will be...

3. Dana Joseph Stewart

Answered . I agree 100% with Mr. Daley - DON'T SIGN IT. Without knowing more details, it is difficult to give your more advice. You need to speak with an attorney about this. Best of luck.