Skip to main content

Should I seek legal help or contact the owner of the McDonald's directly for resolution of this situation?

Indianapolis, IN |

While on vacation in the Florida Keys in mid January, my wife and I visited a McDonalds. When we were walking back to our car at the rear of the building, I slipped and fell on oil and air conditioning condensate that had accumulated in the drive thru lane. The manager on duty gave me ice for my injuries and took down information about my fall and injuries...I hurt my knee, wrist, ankle and back, spilled coffee on myself and scratched my Maui Jim sunglasses. The injuries did not require medical attention but definitely negatively impacted my vacation.

Attorney Answers 3


Fortunately, you do not have a claim that warrants a lawsuit or retaining an attorney. If I am reading your post incorrectly and you are injured then absolutely speak with an attorney, and not McDonalds. The law does not permit recovery for inconvenience or an incident negatively impacting your vacation, as you infer above. Scratches to your sunglasses would be compensable.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Best bet is to get yourself checked out by a doctor, and if your injuries turn out to be worse than scrapes and bruises, retain a personal injury lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


If the injuries did not require medical attention and have healed, you can try to resolve on your own. Contact the franchise owner or their insurer. One warning is that they may want a recorded statement which if you do without a lawyer may negatively impact your case. But if it is just bumps and bruises try on your own first but be aware of the request for a statement. If you do decide on an attorney you will need one who practices in Florida. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics