Should I respond to the RFE for the B2 (I-539) or withdraw application, leave the country and re-enter as a visitor (Canadian)?

Asked 8 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I am a Canadian citizen and lost my job (H-1B) , and applied for the B2 visa 16 days (in July) after my status was revoked. I received a RFE from the USCIS this past week stating that since I filed for the I-539 sixteen days after my status was revoked; I was in violation of my nonimmigrant status at the time of the filing of the application. The RFE states the USCIS may "exercise my discretion and excuse the untimely filing only" if I can can prove "the failure to file a timely application was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond" my control or I can prove that I "had not otherwise violated my nonimmigrant status." What are my best options at this point? If I withdraw the I-539 and leave the country, how soon can I re-enter the country? I need to respond to the RFE by Nov 23rd.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Should you? That depends on the purpose you seek and intentions you harbor.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Neither. Meet with a counsel tomorrow in person BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE US>

3. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . There is no guarantee you will be readmitted on a B2. And if you stay and are denied a change of status, you may be subject to a 3 or 10 year bar to returning. It's a tough choice, and it may depend on the purposes of your admission as a B2.