Should I respond to an unlawful detainer eviction summons?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Beaumont, CA

my home went to foreclosure and sold and i received a summons (unlawful detainer-eviction) what is the purpose of me filing a response?

1. James Joseph Falcone

Answered . If you do not file a response within 5 days of being served, the owner will enter your default & immediately get a writ of possession, which the Sheriff will serve to get you out. If you file an answer within five days, the court will set a trial date within 15 to 20 days; the owner will not get the writ until after the trial.

Disclaimer
    The content of this comment contains general information is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You require specific legal advice and should not rely on general information provided in response to a question posted on Avvo. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the matter and for any specific legal advice.