Should I respond to a claim letter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mount Laurel, NJ

I had an accident involving damage to other party's and my vehicle. I got a letter from the other party's agency asking for my insurance details. The letter stated that "As per our investigation it appears that you are at fault... we need your insurance details..."

Should I provide them with the insurance details? The police report any way has this information. Please advise.

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

11

1

Answered . Turn the letter over to your insurer asap!

2. Robert W Rubinstein

9

1

Answered . You should send the letter to your insurance company and let them handle the matter. Failure to notify your insurance company can result in its denying coverage to you.

3. Dean P Murray

7

Answered . Forward the correspondence to your insurance carrier.

Pro

6

Answered . Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.

5. Matthew C Simon

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Don't even deal with them. Advise your insurance company and let them handle it. Good luck.

6. Sheryl Alyce Traum

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with the other responses. I also wanted to add that the frequently heard cautionary statement "anything you say can be used against you" may apply to statements you make to other people about this car accident. What you say to others can be treated as "Party Admissions" and even though you may not think you are making an "admission" against your own interest, other people may later try to use your own words against you. Better to get this letter to your insurance carrier right away and let them deal with it. That's what they are there for, and the claims professionals are usually quite experienced in dealing with situations like this.

7. William West Seegmiller

4

Answered . Of course they are going to say you are at fault because they don't want to pay. Let YOUR insurance company handle this. That's why you paid them. Make sure you have reported the accident to them. Good luck.

8. C. Andrew Campbell

4

Answered . Turn the demand over to your insurance carrier and let them deal with the demand. Your insurance carrier will likely contact the other insurance.

9. David A. Papa

4

Answered . I agree with the other attorney's Contact your insurance company and allow them to both assist you in your response and/ or provide you with an attorney.