Skip to main content

Should I report to immigration that I was blackmailed into marriage but also married out of love? Green Card marriage fraud.

Boston, MA |

The guy blackmailed me into marriage as he came here on a tourist visa from another country with a plan to marry me and when he came here I changed my mind and he BLACKMAILED me saying that I also planned to marry him on tourist visa so that would be "conspiracy to commit visa fraud" and I was soo scared thinking I would be in trouble and I married him but I ALSO loved him at the same time. I was sooo stupid because this should have been a HUGE red flag. Of course he ended up using me for the green card.

Should I report this to immigration that he blackmailed me into marriage because f the tourist visa or will they not believe me and think that I was complicit in marriage fraud? I thought he wanted to be with me, I was so dumb. Will I be accused of anything? B/c I am sure he used me now.

Attorney Answers 3


Whether to report the person is a personal choice that you have to make, it is not a legal question. It is hard to give a simple "yes" or "no" answer to whether you'll be accused of anything. You should sit down with an experienced Immigration Attorney and tell him/her all the facts. If you do end up reporting him to the USCIS, give all the facts to the USCIS, truthfully.

All comments and/or opinions are for general information, and should not be used as legal advice. In addition any comments and/or opinions do not create an attorney-client relationship. In order to obtain a comprehensive and accurate legal opinion you should consult an attorney with the specific and detailed facts or your case/question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You can only be held liable if you knowingly participated in the marriage fraud, and if a finding of marriage fraud is actually entered. Contact an immigration attorney directly for more information.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


As an attorney with considerable experience with criminal law and immigration law, I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney BEFORE discussing this matter with the government. It is important for you to know your rights and liabilities when make a decision of this nature.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics