Should I report to immigration that I was blackmailed into marriage but also married out of love? Green Card marriage fraud.

Asked 7 months ago - Boston, MA

The guy blackmailed me into marriage as he came here on a tourist visa from another country with a plan to marry me and when he came here I changed my mind and he BLACKMAILED me saying that I also planned to marry him on tourist visa so that would be "conspiracy to commit visa fraud" and I was soo scared thinking I would be in trouble and I married him but I ALSO loved him at the same time. I was sooo stupid because this should have been a HUGE red flag. Of course he ended up using me for the green card.

Should I report this to immigration that he blackmailed me into marriage because f the tourist visa or will they not believe me and think that I was complicit in marriage fraud? I thought he wanted to be with me, I was so dumb. Will I be accused of anything? B/c I am sure he used me now.

1. Rajat Shankar

3

Answered . Whether to report the person is a personal choice that you have to make, it is not a legal question. It is hard to give a simple "yes" or "no" answer to whether you'll be accused of anything. You should sit down with an experienced Immigration Attorney and tell him/her all the facts. If you do end up reporting him to the USCIS, give all the facts to the USCIS, truthfully.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

Answered . You can only be held liable if you knowingly participated in the marriage fraud, and if a finding of marriage fraud is actually entered. Contact an immigration attorney directly for more information.

3. Christopher Anthony Gaston

Pro

2

Answered . As an attorney with considerable experience with criminal law and immigration law, I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney BEFORE discussing this matter with the government. It is important for you to know your rights and liabilities when make a decision of this nature.