Should I release my homeowners insurance payout limits to Lawyers for plaintiff in a dog bite case? I have no lawyer.

Buena Park, CA |

Dog bite allegedly happened in our driveway. No actual witness to say exactly what happened. Lawyer for injured party wants to know our policy limits. Injured person was 3 year old neighbor that we barely new and was unsupervised. Injury is two small scratches on face and one cut along jaw line with about 6 stitches.

Ask your carrier about this!! If you get sued, you have to release the information regardless of your desires so there is really no harm in so doing prior to a lawsuit!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

If you carried homeowner's insurance, why are you even talking to the claimant's attorney? You should notify your homeowners insurance carrier ASAP if you haven't already. You should not be discussing this matter with the claimant's attorney. Any information concerning the dog and/or the situation that you've provided to the attorney will likely be used against you later on. If a lawsuit is filed on this matter, your insurance carrier will hire an attorney to defend you. The more you chit chat with the other attorney, the more likely you are to harm your defense. It's also possible that if you harm your defense by delay in giving notice to your insurance carrier that they could deny you coverage and refuse to defend you. Clearly that's not in your best interests. Turn this over to your insurance carrier and let them handle it. The carrier will ask if you authorize them to inform the claimant's attorney as to the amount of your policy limits. You should say okay, since it helps with handling/assessment of the claimn. Then wait for the insurance carrier to tell you what to do next.

[Please note: This answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.]

Do not speak with the lawyer for the plaintiff. If your insurance company asks permission to disclose your policy limits, it's probably a good idea to agree.

No reason not to. Give your ins co permission. The ins co will try to resolve the case. If the other side files a lawsuit against you, your ins co will hire and pay for an atty to defend you.

yes

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.

It probably won't change much if you do.

Your homeowner's insurance carrier will resolve it. No need to speak to the person.

A cut on the face with 6 stitches on a 3-year old is not a small injury. You need to turn it over to your homeowners' insurance carrier.

It sounds like your insurance company has sent you a letter asking for your permission to release the limit of your liability policy. As a plaintiff's attorney, it is standard procedure to request the policy information from the insurance carrier. I see no harm in disclosing the limit. The claim is worth what it's worth and your insurance company will defend you should a lawsuit be filed. I would disclose the limit and let your insurance adjuster handle the claim.

Turn the whole claim over to your homeowners carrier. Do not talk with the plaintiff's attorney. Your homeowners carrier will take care of that for you and hire an attorney for you if necessary.

Do NOT disclose the policy limits or otherwise communicate with the victim's attorney. [removed]

Animal law topics