Should I release my homeowners insurance payout limits to Lawyers for plaintiff in a dog bite case? I have no lawyer.

Asked 5 months ago - Buena Park, CA

Dog bite allegedly happened in our driveway. No actual witness to say exactly what happened. Lawyer for injured party wants to know our policy limits. Injured person was 3 year old neighbor that we barely new and was unsupervised. Injury is two small scratches on face and one cut along jaw line with about 6 stitches.

1. Wendy Marie Schenk

11

Answered . If you carried homeowner's insurance, why are you even talking to the claimant's attorney? You should notify your homeowners insurance carrier ASAP if you haven't already. You should not be discussing this matter with the claimant's attorney. Any information concerning the dog and/or the situation that you've provided to the attorney will likely be used against you later on. If a lawsuit is filed on this matter, your insurance carrier will hire an attorney to defend you. The more you chit chat with the other attorney, the more likely you are to harm your defense. It's also possible that if you harm your defense by delay in giving notice to your insurance carrier that they could deny you coverage and refuse to defend you. Clearly that's not in your best interests. Turn this over to your insurance carrier and let them handle it. The carrier will ask if you authorize them to inform the claimant's attorney as to the amount of your policy limits. You should say okay, since it helps with handling/assessment of the claimn. Then wait for the insurance carrier to tell you what to do next.

[Please note: This answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.]

2. Alan Ray Barnes

Pro

7

Answered . Do not speak with the lawyer for the plaintiff. If your insurance company asks permission to disclose your policy limits, it's probably a good idea to agree.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

Pro

6

Answered . No reason not to. Give your ins co permission. The ins co will try to resolve the case. If the other side files a lawsuit against you, your ins co will hire and pay for an atty to defend you.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Ask your carrier about this!! If you get sued, you have to release the information regardless of your desires so there is really no harm in so doing prior to a lawsuit!!

Pro

7

Answered . Your homeowner's insurance carrier will resolve it. No need to speak to the person.

6. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

6

Answered . yes

7. Tatiana Kadetskaya

6

Answered . A cut on the face with 6 stitches on a 3-year old is not a small injury. You need to turn it over to your homeowners' insurance carrier.

8. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

4

Answered . It probably won't change much if you do.

9. Maryam Parman

Pro

4

Answered . It sounds like your insurance company has sent you a letter asking for your permission to release the limit of your liability policy. As a plaintiff's attorney, it is standard procedure to request the policy information from the insurance carrier. I see no harm in disclosing the limit. The claim is worth what it's worth and your insurance company will defend you should a lawsuit be filed. I would disclose the limit and let your insurance adjuster handle the claim.

10. Thomas Edwin Martin

Pro

4

Answered . Turn the whole claim over to your homeowners carrier. Do not talk with the plaintiff's attorney. Your homeowners carrier will take care of that for you and hire an attorney for you if necessary.

11. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

4

Answered . Do NOT disclose the policy limits or otherwise communicate with the victim's attorney. [removed]