Should I refute my ex-husband's accusations?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Santa Fe, TX

My ex-husband sends multiple emails and texts to me in a day for days on end berating me as a mother, making false accusations, telling me that I need psychiatric help, ad naseum. I don't know if I should refute these accusations in an email back to him or just let him rant and rave. I think he is attempting to paint me as a crazy, incompetent mother and try to get the kids away from me. We have joint custody now and I do not keep the children from him on his ordered time. If these emails go unanswered will he be able to use them against me in court because I didn't respond? I don't know what to do!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Sheryl Rae Ghezzi


    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Harassing emails and texts are becoming quite common as an incident of divorce. His accusations are just that, accusations, until you respond. I would suggest you keep records of all these accusations and if the time comes and you need to refute their suggestions before a Court of Law, with the help of an experienced attorney, refute them then. Anything nasty or disrespectful you respond may be used against you so it is better to avoid making a record.

    Contact an experienced family attorney if you need assistance in getting the Court to restrain his harassment.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now