Should I put that I was arrested on a job form even though the case was dropped.

Asked about 1 year ago - Bergenfield, NJ

I applied for a job and got it, the official hire is when the background and staff form is complete, the form asks if I have been convicted of a crime. Last year I was arrested but the charges were dropped.

1. Mark M Cheser

Pro

2

Answered . Tough call. The truthful answer is “no” you were not convicted but the arrest is very likely on your CCH. If they see this and consider your answer less than candid it may cause problems. Then again, the truthful answer may be enough. I do not want to give advice that will harm your position. All I can say is the arrest is likely on the CCH. You can expunge that entry, if otherwise eligible, immediately. The process is said to take 8 weeks but it actually takes about 20. So starting one now will not help. But for the future consider an expungement.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Cheser's accurate and complete answer.

3. Matthew C Simon

Pro

Answered . If the case was dropped, you were never convicted. I think that is your answer.