Should i press charges against the sheriffs office for letting their explorers read my case file?

Stevenson, WA |

I was a sheriff explorer for skamania county and just recently quit the program yesterday due to two police officers letting an explorer read my case file, this explorer works with me at a job in our county. This explorer also has been spotted sitting in my drive way for no reason what so ever. This explorer also slandered at work about my case. I need answers and help on what to do. i talked to the explorer advisor and he shrugged it off.

1. Is this a criminal case file? If so, letting a non-commissioned individual (e.g., an explorer) read your case file might violate department policy as well as other records laws. You as a citizen cannot press charges, but you might be able to get a prosecutor or other official to consider pressing charges. You can also consider filing a civil complaint against the Sheriff's Office and if you believe a law has been broken, you can also consider filing a police report (for example, with the Washington State Patrol).

This answer is given merely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice, contact an attorney in your state to see if working together makes sense.