Skip to main content

Should I plead not guilty to disorderly conduct charges or just sign the citation and return it as guilty?

Tarentum, PA |

I am twenty and was at a party. When police arrived I walked away. No one pursued me. I still received a disorderly conduct citation in the mail. I assume the police recognized me from being a area athlete as they asked the other kids where I went.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unless you did more than walk away when police showed up, I'm puzzled as to why you believe pleading guilty to an offense that the police likely can not substantiate and having a record for that for at least five years is a viable option in your view. The choice is certainly yours alone, but it has negative consequences beyond the obvious fine involved. Think about it carefully and seek counsel from a qualified criminal defense attorney who practices in Allegheny County. Most of us here, myself included, will provide you with an initial consultation without charge. Take advantage of that to speak privately and confidentially with one or more suitable lawyers. Good luck.



I'm an honest kid. I was there. They obviously have my name. I just assume there's no chance to fight a policeman recognizing me in court. And I did just walk away down the street to a friend's house.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.


That's why I suggested you TALK with an attorney. Your lack of undetstanding is not a surprise; if you fail to take steps to correct that then I'd be surprised.


You should never just plead guilty unless you absolutely have to. Hire a criminal defense attorney to help you!

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102


It does not sound like you committed a crime. It is suggested that you plead not guilty and request a hearing. You should retain a local criminal defense attorney to maximize your chances for a good result.


If you sign it and send it in, it is a guilty conviction which you cannot expunge for 5 years after you are 21 assuming you get in no further legal trouble. Do you need this? If you were my client, you would plead not guilty, go to the hearing with me and the DC would probably be dismissed.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer