Should I plead not guilty to disorderly conduct charges or just sign the citation and return it as guilty?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tarentum, PA

I am twenty and was at a party. When police arrived I walked away. No one pursued me. I still received a disorderly conduct citation in the mail. I assume the police recognized me from being a area athlete as they asked the other kids where I went.

1. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

5

1

Answered . Unless you did more than walk away when police showed up, I'm puzzled as to why you believe pleading guilty to an offense that the police likely can not substantiate and having a record for that for at least five years is a viable option in your view. The choice is certainly yours alone, but it has negative consequences beyond the obvious fine involved. Think about it carefully and seek counsel from a qualified criminal defense attorney who practices in Allegheny County. Most of us here, myself included, will provide you with an initial consultation without charge. Take advantage of that to speak privately and confidentially with one or more suitable lawyers. Good luck.

2. Robert C. Keller

4

Answered . It does not sound like you committed a crime. It is suggested that you plead not guilty and request a hearing. You should retain a local criminal defense attorney to maximize your chances for a good result.

3. Michael Kotik

Pro

3

Answered . You should never just plead guilty unless you absolutely have to. Hire a criminal defense attorney to help you!

4. William Ray Pelger

1

Answered . If you sign it and send it in, it is a guilty conviction which you cannot expunge for 5 years after you are 21 assuming you get in no further legal trouble. Do you need this? If you were my client, you would plead not guilty, go to the hearing with me and the DC would probably be dismissed.