Should I plead not guilty or no contest to my underage drinking ticket?

I was at the Bradley Center and got a citation for underage drinking. I am going to court and want the chance to meet with the prosecutor and get the charge off my record. I am willing to take a class or do community service, how do I ensure this meeting?

Milwaukee, WI -

Gregory J. Jerabek

Gregory J. Jerabek

Criminal Defense Attorney - Wisconsin Rapids, WI

In order to get a meeting with the prosecutor (a pretrial conference), you MUST plead "not guilty". If you plead "no contest" the Judge will find you guilty and default you to the recommended penalty right at the start.

I also must suggest that you consult with a local attorney about this matter immediately; you should not handle it on your own.

Jay K. Nixon

Jay K. Nixon

Criminal Defense Attorney - Racine, WI

Your best bet is the hire an experienced local attorney in the greater Milwaukee area (which includes Racine). I have had no problem in the past obtaining a meeting with the prosecutor in Milwaukee Municipal Court. I have also found them to be quite reasonable to work with. If you have a clean record and are willing to take the class, you goal might be a reasonable one, assuming that the offense was not aggravated in any way. Much will depend upon how positive of a picture of your attorney your attorney might be able to paint for the authorities, although that will depend in large part upon your past, assuming that you do well in treatment. Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here. Call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email nixon@execpc.com) for clarifications, but short of such additional arrangements, I will not be taking any action on your case. See me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com. View over fifteen years of my past answers at http://www.lawguru.com/answers/search/attorney/.... Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

Christopher P. Ehrfurth

Christopher P. Ehrfurth

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Waukesha, WI

You should consider hiring an attorney to assist you with this matter. If you do not hire an attorney before your scheduled court date, be sure to make your court appearance, plead "not guilty," and inform the court that you need another court date because you would like time to consult with an attorney. Generally, Milwaukee County is quite reasonable on these kinds of cases, and hiring a good attorney will improve your chances of obtaining a favorable result.

Related Advice