Skip to main content

Should I plead not guilty or no contest to a speeding ticket I believe to be inaccurate?

Milwaukee, WI |

I was pulled over, the officer did not ask if I knew why I was pulled over, only asked immediately for license, registration, insurance. Told me I was going 85 in a 65. He was monitoring traffic from an overpass above a freeway. Once I saw him up there, I looked at my spedometer and it read 80.
Obviously, going 20 over leads to a higher fine than going 15 over. And 20 is the minimum in the 20-24 fine bracket. I plan to go to my court date. The officer did not state how he measured my speed.
When he came back to my car, he mentioned that it had taken him a while to print the citation because his computer or printer wasn't working properly.
To get my citation reduced, both in terms of the fine and the points on my license, should I plead not guilty or no contest?

Attorney Answers 3


If you are going to contest the charge then you must plead Not Guilty and the government must prove you violated the law. If you are going to admit that you violated the law then you plead Guilty or No Contest and you will be sentenced.

A plea of Not Guilty or No Contest doesn't relate to getting reduced fines and/or points on your license necessarily. However, entering a plea rather than going to trial may be a reason for the judge to impose a more lenient sentence. You might ask the judge, prior to entering your plea, whether he would reduce sentence if you admitted guilt.

No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication. Any recommendation/information given through Avvo should be considered only as opinion until an attorney-client relationship is created.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Steven Edward Weir

Steven Edward Weir


Never enter a plea to a moving violation if you don't have to. Your insurance company is waiting for you to do such a foolish thing, so they can gouge your pocketbook. It is a moving violation, and that is all your insurance company cares about.


You should plead not guilty. You can usually work with the prosecutor and at least get the ticket reduced by one point for a lower speed violation. The fine will usually remain the same.

Legal disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication. Any recommendation/information given through Avvo should be considered only as opinion.

Mark as helpful


Called the city attorney and discuss your court date if they do not respond, show up at the first court date and try to talk them about the reduction in points, fine or both. If they will not talk to you, entered a not guilty and set the matter for trial.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics