Should I plead guilty, not guilty or no contest to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident? How like my license will be sus

Asked over 5 years ago - Wadsworth, OH

I received a call from the police saying that I had scraped a car in a city hall parking lot five days earlier. I was not aware I had done this. My car is very large and I was in a hurry and not paying attention. I found paint on my car, so I believe I did scrape the car but did not know.
I have since contacted my insurance company and they are starting paperwork for fix the person's car.
This is a first-degree misdemeanor and I am scared that I will either have my license suspended or end up with a lot of points. Is it likely this will happen or are judges usually understanding to this situation?

1. Matthew O. Hutchinson

Answered . Your concerns are well-founded. Depending on the specific alleged violation (there are 3 different types of hit-skip), a license suspension may be mandatory and may add 6 points to your license (if you have 12 points in any given 2-year period of time, your license will be suspended for that as well). The fact that you were unaware that you caused damage to the other car is a defense. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney who may be able to convince the prosecutor to dismiss the charge or reduce the charge to something that doesn't require a license suspension.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Hit and skip (hit and run) laws all over are being taken very seriously and that is rightfully so. While the rules in OH where this happened are likely very specific ( I do not practice in OH), as a general matter, leaving the scene after an accident is - at a minimum - frowned upon and is not a good practice. After the fact advise is like Monday morning quarterbacking, but I observe that in this instance your first phone call should have been to the police reporting the location of the car, describing what happened and that to your knowledge there were no witnesses nor anyone hurt etc....

You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/ethics-yes...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You."

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might read my Legal Guide "Can An Attorney Really Help?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/can-an-att...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

Online we cannot know what the other details are going on in your case because online we cannot find out those details. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.