Should I pay this palmer pay thing? What is gonna happen with my visa?

Tarrytown, NY |

I'm from Colombia, I was doing an English exchange in new York till march. I was with 2 friends at Macy's and we were accused for "attempting" to leave the store with clothes from them, we are all 17 years old. They called the police, we spent the night at police station and in the morning we went to the court, they told us that we had to do 1 day of community service and also attend to a talk for teens and all charges will be dismissed in 6 months. We did everything just as they told us and I came back to my country. One of my friends that is still in new York told me that she received a letter of palmer pay asking for 500 dollars but that agency is from Florida, I called there and they told me that they have also send me that letter but I have read several posts saying it is fake.

Why are they doing this after 3 months and they didn't told me anything there? When that happened I was with my Student Visa but I also have my tourist Visa. Several webpages say that this is just a way of extort people, principally underage people like my friends and I.

,What you received is a Demand Letter to pay damages. Ignore it altogether as such letters are not legally enforceable until the merchant' law office or assigned collection agency files a civil suit with every legal requirement (complaint, appearance, proper summons, return of the summons, court hearing, signed court judgment, motion to discover assets, etc.).
I doubt the merchant would really pursue that. Therefore, rest easy, it is a scare tactics to intimidate you in paying the demanded amount.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

This is not really an immigration quesiton, unless I missed a hidden immigration aspect of it.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Itis not a fake because. A New York law allows a retailer to seek a civil demand of 5 times the value of the goods allegedly stolen up to $500. This is seperate from any criminal case. However, I advise my clients not to pay this civil demand because I have never seen a store sue to collect as it is not worth their time and money. I write letters to the store or their attorneys for my clients directing the store or its lawyers not to communicate with my client and to only deal with me. This stops the store or its lawyers from contacting my clients any further. Ignoring the civil demand letters will not effect your immigration status.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Recommended articles about Immigration