Should I pay the fine?

Asked over 2 years ago - Newton, MA

Some one made a phone call to my company saying I stole a laptop. They interrogated me and made me admit to the stolen product because I was nervous. They told me if I paid $1400, it will be handled internally and will not file a police report. I agreed because I was scared. Should I pay the $1400 or are they scamming me? I do not want the police called and I do not want any criminal charges held against me especially when it comes to background checks.

1. Michael Rodney St Louis Esq.

3

Answered . It's unclear to me what they did to make your admit you stole the laptop. Did they threaten to fire you? Have they fired you? You may have a wrongful termination case against your employer if they are forcing you to pay them in exchange for an admission. On the other hand, if you did steal it, then pay the $1,400.

2. Terri D. Leary

2

Answered . If they coerced you into an admission, why would you trust that they woul not file a police report? You essentially have admitted to committing larceny over $250. Ask to review the statement and have a lawyer with you at the time. You should withdraw the admission if you did not do this, and look for employment elsewhere since there has already been a severe, likely irreparable breach of trust.

3. Henry Lebensbaum

1

Answered . He them to sign a release and speak to a lawyer.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

4. Valerie J. Semensi

Answered . If you stole the item, that's a felony as the value is over $250. However, my question is how was the $1400 figure arrived at...it seems steep for a laptop.

You should have a lawyer with you, make an appointment to review your employment file and anything you may have signed or agreed to, then see where it takes you. They will know that you are serious about your defense when you bring legal counsel.

Best of luck!

Valerie Semensi @ 781.383.1940