Should I pay the Civil Demand Letter From Walmart in Houston, Texas.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I got a Civil Demand letter saying I have to pay $150 because I was with my friend because he shoplifted and I didn't even know. I didn't take anything, when we walked out, the beeper went off and I knew it wasn't me. Should I pay the $150? And what will happen if I don't? I am only 13 years old, they don't know any of my phone numbers, only Address, Height, Weight, Name. And what he stole costs $9 I Just want some advice whether or not I should pay it and will the price go up if I don't pay it within the time period. I don't want them to sue me and my parents don't know about this. I would also like to know if I could pull off the old "I never got the letter" trick. Also, they mailed it from Bentonville, AR 72716-0815 and I live in Houston, Texas.

1. Andrew Chung

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You and your parents or guardian should find a local civil attorney who can read your demand letter and tell evaluate your options. Many attorneys offer free consultations. I think it would be in your interest to take advantage of this, just be sure to bring your parent or guardian. Best of luck!

2. Anthony Chau-Minh Ngo

4

Answered . Please consult with a local attorney in your area immediately. The attorney will need to review the various allegations that are being made in the Demand Letter to see how to respond accordingly.

3. Ivan A Guerrero

1

Answered . You will need to consult with an attorney for him to explain to you the contents of the letter. More likely than not it would be better for you to pay.
    Good Luck.