Should I pay the balance or let it the account be removed from credit report, for estimated removal in the next 3 months?

Washington, DC |

I notcied on my credit report I have a few accounts which are scheduled to be removed from report in the next 3-6 months. I am trying to get my credit back in line and would like to know if I should pay these balances or just allow them to fall off my report without paying? I have a huge amount of debt and it is overwhelming to see how much I need to pay off, by the accounts being removed from my report does that mean the debt is forgiven or it just mean it's off my record?

1. Depending on the length of the Statute of Limitations in your State, the debts should drop as of one day after the last day of expiration of the Statute. If you send any payments or revive the debt in any way , shape or form, you will revive the debt and they could hound you for another period of the Statute of limitations. Unless you have a lot of money to give away, it would better to let the Statute expire. If you have not been sued before the Statute of limitations expire, then you can use that defense against future lawsuits on that specific debt. If you want more specific advise, I recommend you hire an attorney in your jurisdiction and set a plan of action to fix your credit. This may include bankruptcy, debt negotiation or some type of principal forgiveness and rate reduction. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

This answer is provided by Manuel Juarez, El abogado Hispano de Oakland, and it is of a general context and is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. I am licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advise in any other type of situation. Esta opinion es del Abogado Manuel Juarez is no forma una relacion de abogado y cliente. Soy licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

2. Mr. Jaurez has provided you with the correct advice. First, if the items will be removed from your credit bureau reports in the next 6 months, due to statutes expiring, there is no problem with waiting for that, unless the creditors decide to sue. Making any payment on those debts, in the meantime, will act as a reaffirmation of the debt and the statute will begin again. Your best course of action, since you have a "huge amount of debt" would be to consult with a local debt settlement attorney for assistance. Good luck.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. 

3. Attorneys Juarez and Gold gave you correct information. If you have not been sued by the time the statute of limitations expires on the debts, then the creditors cannot collect those expired debts from you. If you do get sued by any creditor before the statute of limitations expires, then you should contact an attorney to assist you. Best of luck.