Should I pay the balance or let it the account be removed from credit report, for estimated removal in the next 3 months?

Asked about 2 years ago - Washington, DC

I notcied on my credit report I have a few accounts which are scheduled to be removed from report in the next 3-6 months. I am trying to get my credit back in line and would like to know if I should pay these balances or just allow them to fall off my report without paying? I have a huge amount of debt and it is overwhelming to see how much I need to pay off, by the accounts being removed from my report does that mean the debt is forgiven or it just mean it's off my record?

1. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . Depending on the length of the Statute of Limitations in your State, the debts should drop as of one day after the last day of expiration of the Statute. If you send any payments or revive the debt in any way , shape or form, you will revive the debt and they could hound you for another period of the Statute of limitations. Unless you have a lot of money to give away, it would better to let the Statute expire. If you have not been sued before the Statute of limitations expire, then you can use that defense against future lawsuits on that specific debt. If you want more specific advise, I recommend you hire an attorney in your jurisdiction and set a plan of action to fix your credit. This may include bankruptcy, debt negotiation or some type of principal forgiveness and rate reduction. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

2. Lara Ruth Shapiro

Pro

2

Answered . Attorneys Juarez and Gold gave you correct information. If you have not been sued by the time the statute of limitations expires on the debts, then the creditors cannot collect those expired debts from you. If you do get sued by any creditor before the statute of limitations expires, then you should contact an attorney to assist you. Best of luck.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Mr. Jaurez has provided you with the correct advice. First, if the items will be removed from your credit bureau reports in the next 6 months, due to statutes expiring, there is no problem with waiting for that, unless the creditors decide to sue. Making any payment on those debts, in the meantime, will act as a reaffirmation of the debt and the statute will begin again. Your best course of action, since you have a "huge amount of debt" would be to consult with a local debt settlement attorney for assistance. Good luck.