Should I obtain legal counsel and might it be contingent? Charge "is" subject to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Waldorf, MD |

I am a black female. I was terminated (due to alleged financial constraints) 2 months after my newly assigned supervisor (white female) sent another employee (white female) a text stating, "the Flying Monkey will have her wings clipped soon". Was made aware of the text approximately 1 month following my termination. Also found out a white male, with similar credentials was hired, at same or more salary, to backfill my position, 2 weeks following my termination. Filed an EEOC complaint--and investigation has been active/on-going for past 14 months. Anticipate I will eventually receive a "right to sue letter". During the 4 yrs of employment, I consistently received outstanding evaluations, annual bonuses, promotions, and salary increases (all documented) based on exemplary performance.

You have a very good case as under Title VII. Contact my office if you want to discuss this matter further. Incidentally its not just under Title VII, you also have a cause of action as under the MD Civil Rights Act. Note also that upon issuance of the Right to Sue, you have 90 days to file a lawsuit in court; if you file on the 91st day, you are out of luck; so I would contact an attorney early.

This case may have real potential. The fact that you have the statement as well as knowledge as to who replaced you, together with the reason they gave for letting you go, is all very helpful. Don't wait for the right to sue letter to contact qualified Maryland counsel; getting started sooner will help you and your attorney significantly.

This is not formal legal advice.

A Notice of Right to Sue will be issued if you demand, whenever you demand. The Notice of Right to Sue does not make any findings or embody any determinations that will make any difference in your claim. It will neither support or rebut your contentions.

Get lawyer first and let lawyer manage the RtS time sequence.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Recommended articles about Employment