Should I obtain a personal injury lawyer?

Asked 10 months ago - Apple Valley, CA

I was involved in a semi truck accident and have back and neck pain. I had been going for treatment to a chiropractor until the third party insurance refused to authorize any treatment which resulted in the doctors realising me. I still need treatment and have issues getting a hold of the insurance adjuster.

1. 19

Answered . You need to immediately consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. You have a right to receive all medical care that is reasonable and necessary to address your extra related injuries. The insurance company will not look after your best interests. Therefore do not waste time by asking them to help you with your rights. Consult with and retain an experienced lawyer immediately. Best of luck!

2. 17

Answered . You should consult with a local injury lawyer. You don't ask for authorization from the liable ins co in order to get treatment. They prefer you not get treatment, and they wont commit in advance to paying your bills. If you have health ins go see a medical doctor and get whatever treatment is necessary. Consults with injury attys are free, and you need to get educated on the process.

3. 11

Answered . Your only access to medical care is through your own insurance or Medicare / Medicaid. If you have a serious injury, hire an attorney and consult an orthopedic doctor. Chiropractors make insurance adjusters laugh.

If there is any way to avoid it, do NOT allow any doctor or chiropractor to "hold" your bill as it will significantly reduce your recovery.

4. 9

Answered . Retain an attorney. It will increase the value of your claim and you will get help finding a doctor who can defer billing you until the case settles.

5. 9

Answered . Your question carries the answer. Yes you should contact a personal injury attorney to assist you. You do not indicate how the incident occurred but if you were working at the time of the accident you may also have a workers compensation claim. You should get the medical treatment you need when folks are involved in car accidents and suffer injury they should not rely on the other driver's insurance company to do them justice, the insurance company is looking out for their self interests and their insured's interests, NOT YOURS. You need professional assitance on your side! Call a personal injury attorney or a workers compensation attorney for a consultation. Most offer free consultations.

It is most important that you receive proper medical care, even that means using your own health insurance or medical payments coverage. If have neither, a personal injury attorney may be able to assist you in getting medical care on lien basis. As well, under workers compensation law you are entitled to medical care for injuries arising from your employment.

6. 10

Answered . This is a no brainer. Get a lawyer.

7. 8

Answered . You consulted a doctor to get your medical care, you should consult an attorney to handle your legal claim. Most of us here on AVVO will provide a free, no obligation consultation with you. Just give us a call.

8. 8

Answered . YES, you should get a PI lawyer. They can send you to an orthopedist, which is far better for you. The insurance company is not out to do you any favors. A lot of lawyers on here offer free consultations.

9. 7

Answered . Unfortunately you're playing into the trucking company's hands. I've handled a lot of truck accidents and I know this to be true: you should never ask them for advice or authorization to treat. There goal is to make sure that you settle your case for the lowest amount and your goal is to treat as long as necessary, so your interests are not in line with each other. I've helped clients get medical treatment with no upfront payment and get a monetary amount for their injuries as well. Thats the type of service you should expect when you hire a lawyer.

10. 6

Answered . Absolutely. You need to retain a lawyer as soon as possible so that you can continue to receive the treatment you need. If you wait, the adjuster will use the gap in treatment to claim that later services were unrelated to the accident. Don't delay - call a local lawyer immediately.

11. 6

Answered . Don't speak to the insurance company directly as you don't want to sabotage your good claim. Retain a local personal injury lawyer.

12. 4

Answered . I would urge you to speak with an attorney and hire a lawyer

13. 2

Answered . Absolutely contact an attorney immediately. If you do not carry health insurance an attorney can assist you in locating a doctor that will treat you on a lien until your claim resolves.

14. 2

Answered . I would suggest that you contact a local personal injury lawyer to consult with regarding the claim. Most personal injury lawyers provide for a free consultation.