Should I look for a specialist. I have a past criminal record and now I'm being charged with awdw and poss of a firearm.

Asked 8 months ago - Oakland, CA

I did not commit the crime I was just there and the person who was victimize is protecting their family member who initially committed the crime. An ex is pinning the case on me probally because the family is pressuring her to do so. It was done on accident I believe being my friend and I were the initial targets. I was tested for gsr on my hands and clothing. None were found. My car was shot up. I was still arrested. I'm afraid of my chances with a pd. I have no confidence in them whatsoever, but I have very little money to retain a private attorney. What should I do?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

10

Answered . You're between a rock and a hard place. Either get the money to hire the attorney of your choice or work with your public defender the best you can. There are some excellent lawyers in the public defender's office and they are in court every day.

2. Greg Thomas Hill

10

Answered . I would not be so fatalistic about the public defender's office. There are some excellent attorneys there. Ask to meet with the person and spend just ten minutes going over the police report, preferably in an afternoon when they are not so frazzled with court. If, however, you are still disappointed with their focus or interest in your case, call a few big, big law firms and ask if they provide pro-bono criminal defense services. You might be pleasantly surprised.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

Answered . The public defenders office has some great attorneys.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  4. Daniel R Perlman

Pro

5

Answered . The term specialist usually refers to an attorney who has received the title by completing certification as a "criminal law specialist" for example. While undoubtedly many of these attorneys are very invested in their field, and are probably good at what they do, you do not need a specialist. You need a good attorney who cares about their clients. This can come at a premium, but you run the risk in hiring a private attorney for cheap who doesn't help and you run the same risk with an expensive one. Make sure you meet with several and don't be influenced by grand promises or cheap prices. Look for someone who is realistic, but confident and has ideas of how to defend you.

5. Alexander Fredrick Harper

Pro

4

Answered . If you are dead set against going with a public defender, figure out how to get the money together for an attorney you're more comfortable with. Your case sounds like it's potentially complicated. You are facing serious charges that could carry a lot of prison time depending on your background and the particulars of this case.

That being said, public defenders do a great job. I'd recommend you think twice before writing them off entirely. If you can't hire your own attorney and have an actual conflict with the public defender's office, the court can turn to other appointed attorneys to represent you.

6. Scott David Levy

Answered . ADW is a very serious charge with a potential jail or prison sentence, surely contact an attorney.